Valentine's Day

This happy hearts day did not go as planned. Dan and I had bought the boys each a Valentine's book. We had planned for them to wake up to their V-day presents. Dan would go off to work. We would then have craft time and bake cookies and make Valentines surprises for Daddy. Then when Daddy returned from work early, the boys would be fed an early dinner. We would drive to Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, and we would each pick a treat. Then the boys would be put to bed, while Dan and I had a romantic dinner together. That is not at all how the day went................

Dan left for an early Dr's appointment. He was getting fitted for a new ankle brace. When he left the house, Zachary was sleeping in bed with me. And Benjamin was in his bed sound asleep. Dan returned home from his Dr's appt. He woke me from my morning sleep asking where Zach was. Pure panic went straight through my body. We have a duck pond right outside our house. I was searching the house hoping and praying he was just hiding and that he was safe. As a minute went by and I was screaming his name, I debated on calling 911. Minutes later.....Dan found Zachary and our wonderful dog right next to him down the sidewalk/walkway from our house. As soon as I heard Dan's voice talking to Zach returning home, I burst into tears. Grateful that he was okay. Grateful that the ducks scared him enough to keep him out of the pond water. Grateful for our dog that stayed right by his side. And filled with so much guilt. Why did I not hear him wake up? I felt like the worst mother EVER. So, not exactly how I planned for our Hearts day to begin.

The day continued and I was having stomach pains and tightness. I had to rest in bed. I felt awful as I had promised Ben craft time, only to not be able to follow through.

Dan had a bike fitting after work. (It was the only time they had available.) He ended up getting a new bike trade in for free, since the bikethat Santa brought him (he was originally sold) was not his right size.
Then when Dan returned home we decided to make a "quick" trip to Costco to grab a few groceries and a pizza for dinner. Pizza did not look appetizing. So the boys got V-Day happy meals. We then found ourselves at Target at 8pm at night. I was hoping to find the dipping chocolate to make chocolate covered strawberries, and the boys were going to get their V-day sugar cookies. They were of course sold out of the chocolate. But, the boys found a cookie.

Dan and I then grabbed Thai food  and Frozen Yogurt to bring home and try and salvage a somewhat romantic night.
Unfortunately due to the late intake of sugar, the boys could not contain their energy and did not fall asleep until 11pm.

So this day ended up being the exact opposite of how I imagined it. However, Zach is safe. Dan is not deployed. Mommy's favorite prego craving of frozen yogurt was satisfied. The sweet baby in me is safe. And Benjamin got his cookie that he so badly wanted.

Late at night, I looked down at the dog and swore that no matter what he ate of mine, no matter how stinky he was, no matter how many times he got into the trash, and no matter how much black hair he shed all over our house, we would never get rid of him. He never left Zachary's side. He kept him safe. And in my opinion, saved his life.

And on one more really big positive note, the Friday before Valentines Day, we went as a family and saw Gnomeo and Juliet. And Dan gave me a belated birthday/early Valentines present. A fresh water pearl necklace! So, we just celebrated Valentines Day early!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby "Bean" Gardner first ultrasound

Decorating the boys room