Why I am so patriotic...besides the obvious.....
When my dear friend Megan put up her blog posting on her feelings towards the fourth of July, it stirred many feelings inside of me. Instead of replying back to her, I decided to write my own post. Megan - you start such wonderful discussions. I can't wait to move to Utah and drink hot cocoa while having moving hot topic discussions like this. I love you Meg. Even though we might differ in our political and or world views, I think we create the perfect balance if I do say so myself.
Dan is in the Army - I'm a military wife. I live on a military base. I shop for my groceries at a military store. Every time I drive on to base where I live I show my military ID. My son was born at a military hospital. Flags, soldiers, and everything that comes with patriotism is a part of my every day life. I also come from a military family. I don't know if it's a combination of being a military spouse and/or relative(granddaughter/niece/cousin/step daughter/step sister) of a former military member/current active soldier, but I feel really patriotic lately. I think it's because I am forced to see the soldiers side. What are we fighting for? I see the little things that a lot of people take for granted. Our freedom to go to church, to say our bedtime prayers, to read our holy books, to even read at all, to have the opportunity to buy a house and live the American dream, to walk my son to the park and play without worrying if we will be bombed, to make my own website for relatives and friends across the ocean to see, to have as many or as few children (female or male) as I choose.
Yes, I think all of us could use a cup of humility once in awhile. But that doesn't mean that our dream isn't worth fighting for...just because some of us take it for granted.
I do feel that our media plays a large part of how we feel about our country. Does the media make us cynical towards our own country? Or do they support us in being proud to be an American?
Here are where my thoughts come from -
*Went and saw fireworks this year over the Pearl Harbor Bay. Going to visit the memorials at Pearl Harbor is very humbling. I also think of my Grandpa who was serving in the Navy and living in Hawaii at that same time. I always think of what he went through. What was he fighting for? How did my grandma/Uncle/Mom feel every time he left to go away on a tour on his Navy ship?
*A few days ago while jogging/walking the track with Dan and Ben here on base, some soldiers were set up right next to us in a mock training and preparing to go to the middle east. There were loud Muslim chants being played over the speakers and I heard them every time I came around part of the track. They were listening to the chants so they could understand what it would feel like when they got there. There were loud booms as tanks and cannons going off. That is definitely not our normal here. Loud gun fire and Muslim chants over speakers through out town played through out all day is not our norm. If we are lucky our norm is traffic jams, quiet dirt roads, swimming in the ocean, anti war protesting, pro war protesting, watching a baseball game, camping by a fire, buying a house for the first time, shopping at stores, going to school, paying our bills, attending our religious buildings, going to the theatre, or just sitting around a dinner table eating our meals as a family in our peaceful/ loud quiet home. I cherish these simple moments a lot more lately.
* Every time Dan and I go to the military theatre on a date night - prior to the movie starting - all of the movie goers stand as the national anthem is played on the big screen and everyone who is a soldier stands at attention, and some put their hand over their heart in tribute or respect. The first time I experienced this I was just stunned, it took me back to the 4th grade when I used to stand and pledge allegiance to the flag. What happened to those days?
Dan is in the Army - I'm a military wife. I live on a military base. I shop for my groceries at a military store. Every time I drive on to base where I live I show my military ID. My son was born at a military hospital. Flags, soldiers, and everything that comes with patriotism is a part of my every day life. I also come from a military family. I don't know if it's a combination of being a military spouse and/or relative(granddaughter/niece/cousin/step daughter/step sister) of a former military member/current active soldier, but I feel really patriotic lately. I think it's because I am forced to see the soldiers side. What are we fighting for? I see the little things that a lot of people take for granted. Our freedom to go to church, to say our bedtime prayers, to read our holy books, to even read at all, to have the opportunity to buy a house and live the American dream, to walk my son to the park and play without worrying if we will be bombed, to make my own website for relatives and friends across the ocean to see, to have as many or as few children (female or male) as I choose.
Yes, I think all of us could use a cup of humility once in awhile. But that doesn't mean that our dream isn't worth fighting for...just because some of us take it for granted.
I do feel that our media plays a large part of how we feel about our country. Does the media make us cynical towards our own country? Or do they support us in being proud to be an American?
Here are where my thoughts come from -
*Went and saw fireworks this year over the Pearl Harbor Bay. Going to visit the memorials at Pearl Harbor is very humbling. I also think of my Grandpa who was serving in the Navy and living in Hawaii at that same time. I always think of what he went through. What was he fighting for? How did my grandma/Uncle/Mom feel every time he left to go away on a tour on his Navy ship?
*A few days ago while jogging/walking the track with Dan and Ben here on base, some soldiers were set up right next to us in a mock training and preparing to go to the middle east. There were loud Muslim chants being played over the speakers and I heard them every time I came around part of the track. They were listening to the chants so they could understand what it would feel like when they got there. There were loud booms as tanks and cannons going off. That is definitely not our normal here. Loud gun fire and Muslim chants over speakers through out town played through out all day is not our norm. If we are lucky our norm is traffic jams, quiet dirt roads, swimming in the ocean, anti war protesting, pro war protesting, watching a baseball game, camping by a fire, buying a house for the first time, shopping at stores, going to school, paying our bills, attending our religious buildings, going to the theatre, or just sitting around a dinner table eating our meals as a family in our peaceful/ loud quiet home. I cherish these simple moments a lot more lately.
* Every time Dan and I go to the military theatre on a date night - prior to the movie starting - all of the movie goers stand as the national anthem is played on the big screen and everyone who is a soldier stands at attention, and some put their hand over their heart in tribute or respect. The first time I experienced this I was just stunned, it took me back to the 4th grade when I used to stand and pledge allegiance to the flag. What happened to those days?
Comments
It was just a thought, but I appreciate all the responses my question stirred up.
Here is another question I pose to you, which you may answer better than anyone (being the wife of an active duty soldier)...What does it mean when we are asked to support the troops?
Does it mean supporting them with money? Letters? Gifts?
Or does it mean supporting the war they are now fighting?
Just curious...
Love ya Leah!!!! -Meg