My skin is a Love/Hate relationship

Well, yesterday I saw my dermatologist. Since having Melanoma in the past, I have to have a check up every 6 months for the rest of my life. I wasn't really expecting anything. Yes, there were a few spots my Dr has been watching, but nothing more than a quick 10 minute visit, right? Oh that I would be that lucky.......

The scars on my shoulder from my last surgery are not healing right. They have made keloids which are basically masses of scar tissue. And they are not getting any smaller. They are actually growing bigger. So my Dr says that she wants to go at it agressively and scoop out the old scar tissue (in two different spots on my shoulder) in another surgery, and then send me to the Onocology department and get radiation. Yes....radiation. But then she says she is going to get a second opinion and brings in another Dr. Who then suggests injecting my shoulder with steroids once a month for 6-8 months and then doing laser surgery. And then if that doesn't work, then try the radiation. Amen for a second opinion right? So yesterday I had my first round of steroid injections in to my shoulder...OUCH! After that Dan treated me to white powdered doghnuts and the best available mexican food on this island...and I didn't feel one sting of guilt from eating it...;)

And Monday, I am scheduled to have 4 punch hole biopsy's. One on my upper chest, and 3 on the back of my neck. Those biopsys's are usually no fun and require stitches. Even though I will deserve cold stone ice cream after that, I don't want to gain 300 pounds from treats to myself. So here is where your help comes in.......

Any suggestions on how I can treat myself without over indulging? I am open to many ideas. Shopping? Pedis? Manis? Massages? Let me know of any new and wonderful ideas!!!!

My feelings on this whole situation? Man this really sucks! Right when I get ready to finish my schooling, and work on improving my domestic and motherly skills....this happens. I have the tendency to immediately say...WHY ME? But, if this past year (and my entire life) has taught me anything....it's taught me to be grateful for what I have.

So, forgive me if I fall off the band wagon of blogging. I am just trying to stay afloat with my schooling and keep the house in somewhat of an order.....thank heavens for my amazing and wonderful husband. I couldn't do it with out him.

Comments

Miss Megan said…
Man, when it rains, it pours! I'm so sorry momma! If you were here I would give you a big hug, tuck you into bed and make you some homemade chicken noodle soup! Then we would have a Sex and the City marathon, while our husbands watched the boys. Ha ha! Soon Leah! Also as a side note, I am all about the chiropractor and getting a massage. I always feel better than normal when I do either one of those! Of course they can be pretty expensive, so a cheap manicure or scalp treatment is always fun! Pamper yourself!
Englishfam said…
I am so sorry! That is like the worst ever! I have been telling Megan that I need to get to the dermatologist. My skin is like exactly like yours...it has tons of freckles and burns within .2 seconds. My dad who i get my lovely skin from, has had plenty of little cancerous growths taken off his face.
As for something that cheers me up besides food-I will buy myself a new exercise video so I dont get too bored, or I get to buy 5 songs from the itunes for my ipod. I am obsessed with music so it is motivating to me. All of your other solutions are great ones too! Keep up the good work with WW. You are awesome! We all need a few white doughnuts and mexican food once in a while!!

Popular posts from this blog

Baby "Bean" Gardner first ultrasound