I will miss you Papa Jr

Today was a very hard day for me. My Papa Jr passed away. Anyone who knows me, knows that he and I were very close. When my Mom called to tell me, I felt like I was going to throw up and I almost passed out. I felt like I had the wind knocked out of me. Dan told me that I should write in my journal because I have so many feelings right now. I consider this my online journal. So here we go. I have so many memories of my grandpa. When I was recently asked in a friends questionare to name one of my favorite childhood memories. I said, "Camping with my Grandma Sue and Papa Jr." If I had a scanner to add pictures to this blog, you would see countless photos of my grandpa and I. Most recently my fondest memories are of my grandpa in my rear view mirror as I drove away from his house. He would always watch me as I drove away making sure I left safe. He also helped me carry Benjmain into his house so I wouldn't hurt my shoulder after the surgery. And I will forever remember him walking me down the aisle at my wedding, and dancing with me. He hadn't danced with anyone in 50 years. He was so nervous, but he did it for me. I felt honored. He always had the greatest stories of his past. War stories.....growing up in Alabama...dating my grandma...walking barefoot in the snow.......up a hill ........just to go see her. He taught me how to say "no big deal" in tagalic. He always had a nickname for every one. I had two. (Big foot and Lee Haw) Recently, he named Benjamin "Nosey". Ben always has to know what is going on. My Grandpa was an amazing man and I will miss him more than anyone will know. He was like a father figure to me. Also, he loved my grandma. They were married for 60 years. That is very special. I will truly miss him. Well San Diego, here we come again. The background of this picture is so pretty we looked photo shopped in.
As Louis Armstrong played in the background singing "What a wonderful world" I thought I will never forget this moment.

Recently while in San Diego, I took this picture of my grandpa sitting down and enjoying a Padres game. I had no idea this would be his last. He looks so peaceful.

Comments

Gallegos Family said…
Leah,
I am so sorry for your loss! love you!
Anonymous said…
I'm so very sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings. Now I feel like I know him a little better - and as long as he's remembered, he's still with us.
Anonymous said…
I wish I could be there to comfort you and be there just to help out with anything y'all need(especially squeezing Benjamin). But seriously I know how important your Papa Jr. was to you and I'm glad I got to meet him. I talked to him for quite a while and he seemed to be a good man with a gentle soul. He'll live on through the stories you tell Benjamin and that he tells his children and so forth. I am sorry for your loss.
Miss Megan said…
If I were there right now I would give you a big hug and not let go for 10 minutes! I am so sorry Leah. I know how it feels to lose a loved one even if they have lived a full life. I'm glad that Dan and Ben got to know your grandpa. Sounds like you have a lot of great memories.

Love you!

Popular posts from this blog

Baby "Bean" Gardner first ultrasound

Decorating the boys room