Saying good bye to Wrigley

I never thought I would be typing this. But, our dog Wrigley was adopted by a new family today. Bottom line is we did not have the time to give him that he deserved. With my high risk pregnancy, new baby arriving, Ben starting kindergarten, Dan leaving in January for a 6 week training, then another 12 week training, up-coming road trips, Dan starting college courses, Leah starting college courses............ we do not have the time to give Wrigley that he needed.

After much debate, thought, and prayer this is the decision that our family came to together. This has been really hard. I have asked Dan several times if we can get him back. But in reality that won't happen. I know that's just me missing him. Even though we all agreed that this was the best decision, the boys are still pretty traumatized. That is the hardest part.

We met Wrigley's new owners at our local dog park. They brought their dog to see if he got along with Wrigley. Everything went as best as we could ever ask for. But handing Wrigley over to a new family was so difficult. As we drove away from the dog park, Ben, Zach, and I were sobbing in tears. Dan was trying to hold it together and not cry. But I saw him wiping his eyes. We brought the boys to Target and let them pick out a special toy. We called it their brave toy. Ben got a Thor helmet. And Zach got a Spider man mask. We also let them have Happy Meals for dinner. Then when we arrived home, our neighbors who were finishing their garage sale, were giving everything left away for free. Including toys for the boys. Perfect timing to help distract the boys.

Wrigley is now in a home where he has a 7 year old black lab to play with. The people have 1/4 of an acre of land for him to run around on. And they have 2 middle school aged daughters, and a son in high school. They are able to give him the time, energy, and extra training that we were not able to give him.

We will miss him so much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby "Bean" Gardner first ultrasound