Patriot Day

Today is 9-11-08. It is has been 7 years since the attack on the World Trade Center, Pentagon, and crash of the plane in Pennsylvania. I don't know about you, but still to this date I can tell you exactly what I was doing that day 7 years ago.

I was single living with roommates in Point Loma/Ocean Beach. I was working at Jenny Craig Corporate Office. The drive to work on the freeway was something straight out of a movie. Everyone was driving about 20 miles under the speed limit, creeping on a normally busy freeway. I know that I myself was listening in shock to the radio. I got to work and no one was in their offices or at their desks. Everyone in corporate was gathered in the cafeteria staring at a television. The first plane had already crashed. And as I sat down to watch in horror, the second plane crashed. Everyone gasped and then went back to complete silence. Then fear started to rise among whispers of what could be next. Slowly people started to leave and call their families and loved ones. Everyone was released from work early and told to go home and be with our families. I went straight to my Mom's house. When I got there my 4 brothers, Mom, and step dad had all gathered there as well. For most of the day we were gathered around the TV.

This day was very sobering. I also remember it being one of the few times that no voices were raised, no bickering over the last piece of pizza between my brothers, and by the end of the day the last thing we wanted to do was watch an action movie. We wanted happy, light hearted TV shows and movies. And it was one of the days that I remember the words "I love you" being said every time we passed each other in the house.

This day impacted Dan very strongly. It was after the 9/11 attacks that Dan enlisted into the Army. It is one of the things that I love about Dan. His patriotism and love for his country. He wanted to serve and help in any way he could to defend his country.

I just hope for one day a year we could remember that moment in our lives and how it impacted us. And for just one day the words Republican, Democratic, or Independent wouldn't be said. Religious beliefs would not be fought over. And we could just remember that we are all in this together.

Comments

Mel said…
What a great post. My husband is hard core patriotic too and would join the army tomorrow if his wife would allow it! So thanks for your husband and all that he does for this country. He is awesome!!!
Thanks for that Leah. I remember that day very clearly as well. God Bless America!

Popular posts from this blog

Baby "Bean" Gardner first ultrasound